The Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT) empowers talented underserved and underrepresented future educators to teach and serve as leaders in American education because diversity is essential to excellence.
- Diversity. We believe that a diversity of educators, pedagogies, and ideas elevates the quality, expands the scope, and enhances the richness of education. The heart of our mission is therefore to expand educational access for talented underserved and underrepresented students, including students of color, first-generation, and low-income students. Thus, we collaborate with consortium colleges and universities, nonprofit organizations, and networks that seek to promote intentionally diverse and inclusive learning communities.
- Excellence. We believe creating a culture of inquiry that seeks to cultivate analytical rigor, high standards and innovation in approaches to teaching and learning as core attributes of our future educators is the most effective way to realize educational excellence in our schools, colleges and universities.
- Influence. We invest in the next generation of educators because we know that a quality education provided by an effective teacher is the single greatest influence on student success. We believe that equity and inclusion are fundamental to building a better society. Through this investment, we endeavor to build a legacy of influence for generations of students to come.
- Empowerment. We believe that providing diverse students with educational and professional advocacy and mentorship in higher education will expand their career options as well as equip them to inspire more students as teachers, role models, and innovative thought leaders in education. We believe that in implementing our mission, IRT and its alumni can help advocate for positive changes in our educational system and for educational excellence in all communities in order to advance educational transformation.
- Leadership. As an organization, we will act with intention and integrity in our decision-making, leadership, and governance. To be supportive of and responsive to the needs of our students, alumni and partners, a culture of adaptability, assessment and introspection, innovation, and fiscal sustainability is fundamental to our purpose.